You may be simply exploring academic and career options in health science at this time. Professionals engaged in medical lab work are diverse, each with specific background education/training and tasks. In a typical medical lab, you will find:
- Phlebotomist (PBT): specializes in obtaining blood samples from patients.
- Medical Lab Technician (MLT): a lab professional with associate degree.
- Medical Lab Scientist (MLS): a lab professional with bachelor’s degree. Same as Medical Technologist.
- Lab Manager: responsible for managerial and administrative duties. Often has Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Hospital Administration (MHA) or similar degree.
- Lab Director: responsible for overall lab operations. Often is a pathologist (MD or PhD) and responsible for clinical consultation with physicians.
To learn more about Medical Lab Technician (MLT) program at the University of Hawaiʻi, contact the Kapiʻolani Community College (KCC) Medical Lab Technician program:
KCC MLT Program
Health Sciences Department
4303 Diamond Head Road, Kauila 122
Honolulu, HI 96816
Phone: (808) 734-9270
Click HERE to view the MLT program website.
To learn more about the Phlebotomy (PBT) certificate program at the University of Hawai`i, contact the Kapi`olani Community College (KCC) Phlebotomy program. Click HERE to view the PBT program website.
When you earn your MLT credential, you then have an option to advance to the Medical Lab Scientist (MLS) level by attending the UH Manoa Medical Technology program (go to ADMISSION).
If you are already on UH Manoa campus, you may designate Pre-Medical Technology (PRE-MEDT) “major.” Although PRE-MEDT is not a degree major, you would be able to register for classes as a classified student until you are ready to transfer to KCC MLT program. You should communicate closely with the program advisors at UH Manoa (Medical Technology) and KCC MLT program to make sure your transitions are timely.
Students interested in health profession are all encouraged to visit the UH Manoa Pre-Health/Pre-Law Advising Center. Peer advisors will provide you with wealth of information about related careers and support services available on campus.
UH Manoa Pre-Health / Pre-Law Advising Center
Sinclair Library, Room 108
Click HERE to view the Pre-Health/Pre-Law Advising Center website.
UH Manoa Medical Technology advisors are available (best to call first to make an appointment) at:
UH Manoa, John A. Burns School of Medicine
Department of Medical Technology
Biomedical Sciences Building, C206
Phone: (808) 956-8557